It has been a very interesting conference.
It focused on text mining only, either as a tool or as an end user. There were a few companies specialized in text analytics and almost no companies selling data analysis software tools.
The conference was definitely more work oriented than sale oriented, which finally made you learn something instead of trying to convince you to buy software.
There were a few interesting descriptions of applications for which text analytics has been used successfully.
1. An application used text analytics for company evaluations.
2. A software package was used to predict the stock market based on the sentiment analyisis of the web texts about a certain stock.
3. There was an example about text analytics to detect crime.
4. Another example was about the use of text analytics in pharma companies to detect drug evaluation adverse responses.
5. One talk described an application of text analytics for topic detection for a telco company.
6. The importance of being multilingual for text analytics tool was underlined in one of the first talks.
7. ... and finally we saw a few talks about the always present sentiment analysis to detect customer mood about products and companies.
There were technical details and suggestions in most of the presentations.
All in all, a very proficuous conference. I am waiting now for the Text Analytics Summit Europe 2013!